Do I Need a Permit

The following list is provided as a guide for when you may need permits, but may not be all inclusive of all requirements.
Permits are required for the following projects:
  • New Homes and Additions and alterations to existing homes
  • Adding Bedrooms (Sewerage Enforcement Officer approval is required for dwellings with on-lot septic systems.)
  • Finishing Basements.  Emergency egress requirements apply.
  • Interior load bearing wall or beam relocation or removal.
  • Decks, Patios, Sidewalks and Landscaping walls
  • Landscaping that involves disturbing more than 2,000 sq. ft. of ground
  • Dormers and porches.
  • Additions or upgrades to electrical and plumbing systems.
  • Pools – Any pool that has the ability to contain water at least 24” deep; includes Storable/bladder; above ground and in-ground pools.
  • Spas and hot tubs.
  • Sheds
  • Replacing structures destroyed or damaged by weather, fire or other causes.
  • Adding or changing stairs or railings.
  • Installing or repairing Chimneys, liners and fireplaces.
  • Changing type of heating or air conditioning units.
  • Roof replacement when more than 25% of the roof deck material must be replaced.
  • All commercial projects.
  • Signs (including installation, replacement or modification of any sign).
  • Temporary signs for events
  • Fences
  • New Businesses or a change in occupancy or business use.
  • Home Occupations – Zoning
  • Demolition
  • Wells and Associated electrical wiring.
  • Driveways (including resurfacing and replacement) NEW!
No Permits are required for the following activities:
  • Insulating
  • Painting or siding replacement
  • Adding or replacing gutters
  • Cosmetic interior changes
  • Replacement of an existing residential water heater; furnace/heat pump, boiler or air conditioner with no change in size or capacity.
  • Replacement windows and doors with the same opening dimensions.
  • Replacement of plumbing and electrical fixtures.
Other Types of Permits Include:
  • Driveway Permits onto Township Roadways
  • PennDOT Permits for driveways onto state highways
  • Septic On-Lot Permits (Including for repairs).
For more information, view Permit Applications.

View information on the Lancaster County Redevelopment Authority's Home Rehabilitation Program.